Hair Fall - Stop Thinking, Start Acting
Life isn’t Perfect, But Your Hair Can be!
You come across with many hair problems. There are many solutions for hair problems. But, do you think that after using these solutions they end your problems. Some will yes, some will say no and if I ask you for how long your hair fall has stopped surprisingly - a week or a month? I assure you hair problems never end or say never stop because there are many factors affecting your hairs like unhealthy diet, stress, mobile radiations etc. So today I am going to put some brief factors with proper solutions so that you get rid off hair problems. Before starting with anything whether it is your lifestyle problem or say hair problem, you need to understand what your hair wants from you?
What is hair? • Hair is made up of tough protein called keratin. Between starting to grow and falling out years later, each hair passes through four stages: A) Anagen B) Catagen C) Telogen D) Exogen
I hope now you might have understood a little about hair and stages of growth cycles. As you can see the vast change in today's time. Science has made a lot of progress, for every problem there is a solution, but what we do is just - ignore. Why ? Because 80% of people have become their own doctors. It is not a fact but it's true. Normal person knows only common solution but Doctors know every nook and cranny of your problem. So, before taking any suggestions from your friends or relatives, try yourself to know the problem and then consult your doctor as everyone has different types of hair and texture.
A little informative - hair problems with their solutions: 1) Hormones : Since hormones operate best when they are in a delicate balance so if your hormones are imbalanced then you suffer from many problems which include Hair problems too. Thyroid hormones, Pregnancy, any disease, and certain medications - all can influence Hairs growth and Hair loss. Hormones are cyclical. The cyclic nature of both our hair and hormones is one major reason for hair loss! Try to maintain a balanced hormones by following proper diet, yoga, exercise etc.
2) Lifestyle : Who doesn’t want a rich and classy lifestyle, everyone wants it right. But, we forget about our body to enjoy this kind of lifestyle. A good lifestyle gives you a healthy body. But, in today's time we see people drink, smoke, eat junk food etc. Hardly 3% people go green and live a good lifestyle.
So, try to maintain your lifestyle the simple. The more you love your body, your hair will love you too. Do the following changes in your lifestyle like: a) Avoid alcohol or have a limit of it. b) Try to avoid junk foods. Junk lovers, Hair does not love you. c) Try having fruit juice. d) Try having more of water at least 8 glasses per day. e) Take good sound sleep for 8 hours.
3) Nutritional Deficiency – Quite a few people experience hair loss and it can happen at any age. Most of them consult their doctors, are distressed about hair loss and looking for a quick fix. However, do keep in mind that hair loss may occur due to several problems like one is nutritional deficiency.
a) Iron deficiency – People don’t know that iron deficiency can also cause hair loss, when hair roots don’t get enough oxygen they rest and hair starts falling. If you losing more than 100 strands a day you may have iron deficiency.
b) Biotin – Biotin is Vitamin B family. It helps you in converting food into glucose producing fatty acid and amino acid, and activating amino acid in hair roots and nail cells . So if you have excessive hair loss and brittle nails you might have vitamin B deficiency.
c) Selenium – This mineral has powerful antioxidant properties that perform several important functions like maintaining your thyroid functions and helping enzymes to do their work properly. If your thyroid functions are well then no hair problem and hence no hair loss.
d) Zinc – It is important mineral that ensures good immunity, a healthy digestion, good neurological functions and thyroid functions. Less intake of zinc in your diet leads to Hypothyroidism which leads to hair loss.
e) Copper – This mineral helps the body to absorb red blood cells and keep immune system, nerves, bones healthy. You all know anaemia causes hair loss but copper deficiency can lead to anaemia causing your hair to fall off at an alarming rate.
Preventive measures • Try to have a good healthy diet • Include spinach, fenugreek, salad in diet. • Regular intake of fruits like apple, pear, oranges, and pineapples. • Try to take multivitamin tablets prescribed by your doctor. • Relax and be stress free.
4) Alopecia Areata - After nutritional deficiency the major factor of hair loss for a male and a female is suffering from Alopecia Areata.
Alopecia Areata- what is that? How are the symptoms ? Many questions come out when we hear a scientific name. What we do is we surf for such things.
If I say in simple language: Alopecia Areate is a sudden hair loss that starts with one or more circular bald patch and this is seen in male and female too. It looks bad but why this happens and what can we do for it?
Causes The condition occurs when white blood cells attack the cells in hair follicles, causing them to shrink and dramatically slow down hair production. It is unknown that what precisely caused the body's immune system to target hair follicles in this way. Some other reasons are : • Excessive stress • Family history - genetic
Treatment : Home remedies As conventional treatments for alopecia are extremely limited, studies says that supported natural treatments for alopecia are even thinner on the ground.
There are some people that recommend rubbing onion or garlic juice, cooled Green tea almond oil, rosemary oil, honey, or coconut milk into the scalp. While none of these are likely to cause harm, their effectiveness is also not supported by research.
Some people turn to alternative treatment methods such as acupuncture and aromatherapy, although there is little, if any, evidence to support these treatments.
As I said there are many factors for hair problems, try to end them by your own self. Following are some simple remedies you can try to save your hair.
• Stress – Most common problem in today's time. Try to avoid it. I know it is easy to say but difficult to cope up because stress is stress and it can come at any time. But, you can cope up by doing yoga daily for just 15 mins, try doing it in early morning so that you get oxygen and vitamin d3 naturally to reduce stress.
• Diet – What is going inside, can be seen outside. So better try to go green. Have food rich in vitamins, minerals, proteins etc. They not only help your body but also boost your hair growth. Having fruit juices daily and having 8 glasses of water a day give you healthy hair. Try having milk, Paneer, Spinach, Fenugreek, Bitter gourd, Salad , Yogurt, and try to avoid junk food and sweets.
• Hair styling and products - In today's time, everyone does styling with iron or gel - just to look smart, handsome, or beautiful, but later these products react and nothing have a good result especially chemical based products. You see many TV actors and actresses using these kind of products and get attracted to it. Have you ever seen them in real? They look same as we only, the makeup styling makes them perfect. Try to avoid hair styling like ironing, gel application, wet hair styling etc. You are doing nothing but harming your hair and later it reacts and start falling off. • Avoid gel.
• Wash your hair twice a week with herbal shampoo.
• Avoid hair straightening.
• Oil your hair as many times as possible. Do not oil and wash after 30 min. It is a wrong theory because when oil and chemical shampoo gets mixed with each other, hair tends to get weaken and fall off eventually. So do apply at night and wash off after 6-7 hours because the oil gets soaked and absorbed by hair skin.
• Hair colour- Avoid it. I know you like it and it is in trend. Everybody loves it but you are harming your hair. Go for natural colour like Heena mixed with Beetroot juice that gives you a natural red colour. If you are doing hair colour chemically then try to wash with a good shampoo, try washing once a week, it will not harm your hair.
• Iron damaged hair – Big problems for all girls and ladies. I know mostly female go to parlour and shed off just because it does look good but let me tell you if you want straight hair try to have it naturally. Wash your hair, dry naturally and when your hair is medium wet then comb straight. Doing this after every wash you will get good naturally straight hair. Try applying yogurt good for hair.
Things to apply - Use herbal products amla reetha shikakai to wash your hair as it promotes hair growth and makes your hair long and smooth .
• Fenugreek – You can make powder and eat in empty stomach. It is good for your hair as well as for body. Or apply on hairs with mix curd in it, keep it for 30 min, wash with plain water no shampoo. You will notice a good change in a month
• Banana – Ripe banana, honey and olive oil mixed together and apply it on your hair though it smells yuck but it really works for iron damaged hair, and dry hair. Try to do it and wash with any herbal shampoo. Watch the results in 3 weeks. Apply every week you will see change for sure.
• Egg – It is protein rich so try mixing egg with Heena and apply for super soft hair. Apply Heena in every 2 months. Some of them use every month but no, you do not do that.
Test – Do blood test to know your iron level because due to lack of this also hair loss starts.
Mobile – Our best friend right, but this also harms our hair because our generation is running on 4G so the radiation is high and due to high radiations hair loss is there. So, do not sleep with your mobile phone, have a distance from it. Limit use of mobile phone.
Conclusion : Try to care for hair naturally. Try home remedies they work but it takes time nothing is going to show results immediately, have patience. Try only one remedy, do not keep on changing otherwise none of the remedies will work. If having pills, consult doc as for side effects and benefits. Our grandma and mothers had very nice hairs why because they only did home remedies. In today's time many things are affecting hair loss so try to keep your hairs healthy.
About Author : Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo is a very qualified and hugely experienced (49 years) general practitioner. He is a key team member of YHK.